Monday, July 5, 2010

We're home!

Hello Everyone! (this is Emily)
sorry this took so long...the hotel we stayed at on July 3rd charged 7 bucks for 15 minutes of internet, and so we didn't use it. And we don't have it at our house...so finally we can tell you that we are all home safely!
I am SO thankful for my life. I'm thankful for my bathroom, and my bed, and my house, and for how relatively small all the Kentucky bugs look comparatively :) I'm thankful for clean water, and hot water, and my washing machine. I have done nothing in my life to deserve being born in the country I was, or to the family that I was. God has been so good to us, and if you can read this...to you too!
We have really had a lot of revelations about the American dream, and how it sucks you in, even when you don't realize it. It has changed what kind of house we are looking for, and how I look at the school I work at.

Here's a REAL day at the school we painted a mural at: (all my educator friends...hold on to your seats.)
Start: 7:30 am... no bus service...walk on the dirt road (possibly brind a machete with you for safety.)
Copy words from a board into a notebook for a while
Recess for at least a half hour
back to some semblance of work
recess for a half hour
lunch
eat a birthday cake to celebrate someone's birthday
Go home at 10:45

THAT was the whole school day. Many of the students in Costa Rica's public schools can hardly read by the time they are done with 6th grade. I can see why! No specials, no computers, no air conditioning, no soap, no glass in the windows. I DON"T want to hear any complaining about America's school system. If a student wants to learn...it's made available!

Today is our 2 year wedding anniversary :) Wednesday is Justin's birthday.
I will attempt to keep this blog up even after this trip to let everyone know what happens with selling our house and moving and all that.

Thank you Lord, for all the people who kept our house so clean and safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment