Thursday, June 24, 2010

I Finally Touched My First Coffee Tree

If it´s about coffee then this is Justin!

Well, I finally did it; I set foot on a coffee farm and touched a coffee tree. Emily teases me and says that coffee is my love language. She´s not far off, and this past week has been full of waves of coffee love from God to me. I know it´s a little thing, but the Lord knows that for me, this is one of those tiny joys in life that I believe He delights in blessing each of us with as we serve Him.

To stand on these mountains, to see the volcanoes and the mist in the distance, to walk through the densly planted trees with their small green cherries just beginning to form; then to see the workers and the back-breaking labor they do day in and day out so that you and I can enjoy this beverage we´ve grown to call coffee... it gives me a perspective that I´ve not had before.

Yesterday Rodolfo took me along with he and Alejandro, his farm manager, as they went to check the progress of their workers. We began by sauntering down a tree covered dirt road and eventually began making our way through the dense brush on what they called a trail. Everything was covered in dew and somewhat wet, with the souds of birds all around us. Every step brought me into contact with one of the many coffee trees on this 34 acre mountain finca (farm in Spanish).

After about 15 minutes we came upon a group of about 10 workers. Each had a hoe in his hand and was busy uprooting an old tree that needed to be replanted. Standing on about a 35 or 40 degree slope, each of them dug industriously as their bosses arrived. After a few minutes of conversation in which the men gave Rodolfo a report of their progress, Rodolfo turned to me and said, "Do you have anything spiritually prepared to say to these men?"

Caught off guard, I hesitated for a moment as 10 sets of Latino eyes stared curiously at me. Then I said, "Yes, let me share my testimony with them."

These weren´t church going men. But we were all men, and I´ve come to realize that many of our cultural barriers as men disappear as we begin to talk about sexual sin. For the next 15 minutes I shared my story on the side of a mountain. The men listened respectfully to me and occassionally I would see one of them sheepishly glance around at the others to see their reaction as they heard what was probably a story to which they could very much relate. I finished by testifying to the power of God to transform our lives and how that same power was what transformed me.

As I spoke I did everything I could to direct them as to how to turn to God and make a true surrender of their lives, knowing that they may be resistant to responding in public but that they might very well get on their knees later on in private and begin turning to God.

When I was done, Rodolfo asked each man if he would like prayer and if he had any questions for me. As each was asked he wojuld smile nervously, look around and say no. But it was clear that they were somewhat touched that this stranger would be so vulnerable with them. I finished by praying for them and then we all took a group picture.

In such moments what can I say to the Lord? He constantly amazes me at the opportunities He gives me to testify to Him in the most surprising circumstances. Little by little He continues to fulfill a word of prophecy He spoke over me when I was a teenaqger - a word that I wanted nothing to do with at the time. The word was, "You will be my witness in the earth." A simple word for sure, but one He is nevertheless faithfully fulfilling now for the past 10 years.

Well... I thought I was going to tell you all about coffee and then ended up talking about the Lord! he is so good and I love Him with all my heart!

Bless you all and I truly hope that many of you some day get to visit this amazing part of the world they call El Salvador. It has a beauty I have seen nowhere else.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! Praise God. I have enjoyed your Kentucky mountains as you have been enjoying the Costa Rican mountains. :)

    ReplyDelete